Thursday 1 October 2015

Almost didn't get to the top


Tough day in the saddle today for the last of the second climb, but got to the top and had a great day. I saw a desert in the hills, the Combi guys again, and some random looking white water rafting guys looking for a way into a gorge.

So had more tummy issues yesterday and couldn't eat anything again. Stayed off the bike and just waited it out. If it stayed for any longer than a day I was going to toodle off to the doctor, but when I woke this morning all was good! Whilst having a bike breakfast, I contemplated changing the plan for today, but thought there was enough ways out if I tired during the day that I could get back OK. With that, it was off up towards the Izoard.

To get to there from Guillestre where I was staying, you followed a gorge for about 15kms. The road is all up hill, but only at 3% or so so a nice warm up, which was needed as the further into the gorge I got the colder it got. The worst I saw was 1.5 degrees. It didn't stop these chaps though, looking for a way down the sheer cliff to the gorge below so they could white water raft.


The moment you turn left onto the road that will take you up the Izoard though you can see out of the gorge, the sun can beat down on you, and you warm up really quickly.

Those brown peaks are where I am heading
All the way it remains fairly constant in gradient, around 7%, as you head up a valley and through a few little villages on the way.

Looking down on the villages and the valley
With about 6.5kms to go you finish with the villages and meadows and start a series of switchbacks in a forest. It is a nice change.


Then with about with about 3kms to go you come around a corner and see this:


It is called the Casse Deserte. It is not as barren as other deserts that I have seen, as there are trees still growing in it, but it is still a massive change at the drop of a hat. From there it is only a hop, skip and jump to the top where there is a bit of a monument and not much else.


It was quite nice up there though with good views!

Some trees in the desert
I could see some old snow in small clumps in the shadows up there, but thankfully as it was a windless and sunny day the temperature was actually sitting around 15 degrees. Even though, I still dressed up in everything before making my way downhill.


It was a fun downhill, but I did stop to say hello to the memorial for Fausto Coppi and Louison Bobet.


From there it was down to the gorge again, turning left and heading further up it to the turnoff for the Agnel. The Agnel is actually the third highest mountain pass in Europe. So far I have done the top seven with the exception of the Agnel and the Bonette (hopefully tomorrow).

As with the Izoard the road up the Agnel follows a valley most of the way up, there are some switchbacks close to the top, but other than that it is quite different to the Izoard. The Agnel is more rolling with a few downhills in the climb, just short, but enough to have a quick rest. There are a few steeper ramps as well, just to keep you guessing! The scenery pretty much remains the same the whole way though, which is a bit of a bore for 20kms of climbing.


On the way up though a started to see one after the other VW Combis coming down the hill. I am sure it was not another gathering to the one I saw the other day.


Unlike thee Izoard, I was also in a headwind for most of the ride up the Agnel. I don't know if it was the wind (didn't seem too bad really) or the tummy issue and not eating yesterday, but I was starting to feel like I was running on empty. I had nursed myself all day, going easy, ensuring I eat enough and regularly, drinking heaps of water, all that, but at 6kms to go I was really struggling.

At 6kms to the top, I was not going to turn back without getting to the top! I had heaps of daylight left, at that point it was still warmish, and if all else failed I could roll back down the hill to Guillestre. It was the first time though I thought to myself that I may not make it though. Taking it one pedal stroke at a time I continued. Thankfully the few small switchbacks gave me a rest from the wind for an occasional downwind leg, which also helped. I had some more to eat, but knowing what I found out yesterday (when looking into my tummy problem) when your legs are working hard they take all the blood and you can't digest food. Anything was worth a try. I just didn't want to stop in case I froze though as I was now in amongst the snow and the wind was freezing!

I continued, but with 1.2kms to go I just had to stop. Thankfully I was behind a mound or something and it blocked the wind so I was quite happy there for a few minutes. It took ages for my breath to get back! Maybe the height (was at 2,600m) but I have never had issues with thin air before when at this height. Who knows. So after a few minutes I got back on and finished the climb off.


It was actually sunny when I first arrived up there but my priority was food and clothing. I found a windless spot up there, which was hard considering it is actually on a knife edge really, and got my warm clothes on. Sorted! By the time those chores were done though cloud had come up the Italian side and you could not see a thing over there. Thankfully on the French side it was only at the very top.


So the roll back down t Guillestre was easy enough, with the Agnel providing a lovely downhill at times, and fast and straight (boring) at other times. And that was my day!

I will see how I am tomorrow, but still hope to get over Vars and up Bonette, weather or legs (considering the last 6kms climbing today) may cut that plan short though.

Highlight: Feeling better again this morning! 
Lowlight: Even though I looked after myself I still struggled today. Gutted. Guess I cut off more than I can chew after not eating much yesterday.
Lesson Learned: If you do all in your power to ensure you don't sweat on a climb, it is a lot warmer at the top.

2 comments:

  1. But you did get to the top :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow look at all that white stuff, looks super chilly. Hope it's been a restful night and the legs are ready for another climb. Take care. I'm just gonna say it.., don't go pushing yourself too hard.....that has a tendency of happening from time to time with our genes. Jordixx

    ReplyDelete