Tuesday 29 September 2015

Recovery ride

Beautiful lake, but no one on it - maybe because it was Monday?
Well today was about some recovery for the legs but I didn't want to be static. A short ride with not too much in the way of climbing allowed me to finish the detour I started yesterday and prepare for the next few days, which will be tough.

Yesterday  I could really feel my legs, and as my attempt at having a recovery day yesterday was thwarted by the detour I made sure I managed it today - still three weeks to go, can't break down now!

So I headed away from where I stayed last night, thankful in doing so. I am always amazed at the feelings I have as I get to larger towns/small cities. I ride in and see big supermarkets, snack places (more options than just restaurants), things open into the evening, banks with money machines. I think awesome, I have choice and convenience. But I also feel this weight of dread as well with more people, more cars on the road, buildings tagged, things vandalised. You can't have convenience without the people, as businesses could not sustain it, but it is always such a shame that for some reason when you get lots of people together in one place some people act differently. Anonymity I guess?

Anyway, rambling off I go. What got me started was that yesterday was the first time I have felt I have needed to be extra security conscious on this trip, and so am really glad to have moved on.

The ride itself was fairly uneventful. I went past a nice lake, saw a patisserie that was open but even after turning round decided I didn't feel like eating and carried on, then arrived at the base of some massive mountains at a place called Guillestre. Unlike other ski villages, Guillestre seems to have quite a summer tourism industry as well, or is trying to.

Looked a lot more imposing in real life...

So tomorrow I will head up the Izoard, then the Agnel and back down. The following day I will head over the Vars to do the Bonette which will be the Alps done for me and I will start the next chapter.

Highlight: Getting away from the big smoke.
Lowlight: Rough sleep last night. Not the best choice in place to stay in hindsight. Don't get me wrong, was fine just very run down, noisy, smelly etc.
Lesson Learned: Convenience has a price?

1 comment: