Sunday 4 October 2015

Most metres climbed by a Kiwi....or at least Strava thinks so


Taken at 2pm, but it felt like dusk
Well the weatherman promised it to be light rain and winds last night. Turns out overnight he changed his mind and this morning it was thunderstorms and gale force winds. Not the best weather for climbing mountains. So I stayed in and looked at my Strava data....
So turns out that for the month of September I climbed just over 50,000m, that is around 8 times the height of Mount Everest. That is quite a big amount I thought. Turns out also that out of all New Zealanders who entered the climbing challenge on Strava, I topped the table. Cool!

A screenshot of my Strava from last month.

And out of 123,000 who entered from around the world I was 33rd. All doesn't mean too much in the scheme of things, but I was quite surprised with the 50,000m.

Went out and braved the weather a couple of times as well today to have a look around Sault. It is actually a really nice little town. I picked my moments to go when I though there was a wee gap in the heavy rain, once I chose very poorly and came back with soaked trousers.....turns out my jacket is very waterproof! One thing I noticed though was that the autumn leaves are definitely out though. I recall way back in Italy, on the Pordoi I think, where there were a lot of leaves on the road, but over the last couple of days I have noticed the change in colour of the trees as well. The weather is a changing!

Well hope the weather blows over as predicted tonight, as it is still thrashing it down and the lightening is still turning the lights off every now and then, as well as the internet.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats! 50 000m and probably a whole lot more to come. Jordi xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! :) :) :) M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does so mean a lot in the scheme of things, take that comment back! Means you are awesome. The end! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Strava say it is - then run with it! But 33rd in the world is just awesome. May the weather be with you (appoligies to Obi Wan). Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Hoggy. I'm a bit perplexed as to who the 32 other people are, and how can they be doing more climbing meters than a full-time col-climbing cycle tourist! No dramas tho. Awesome effort, photos and memories to last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im with SCotto - how can 32 other people climb more than you!? Maybe they are pilots and turned their strava on during ascents only?!
    Is there a conclusion blog buddy?
    Have loved reading and following you along your incredible journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah mate, coming out today. Just needed to let the dust settle a bit first once I was back.

      Delete